Monday, July 21, 2014

Aubrie Dionne spills the beans

Hi, Aubrie! So glad to have you at Spilling the Beans, where we can learn a little bit about you, and your book. Grab a cappuccino and let’s chat. Unless you have another favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?
I LOVE cappuccino! I’ll take two of those, please.

Coming right up! Fur or feathers, pet-wise?
I have a miniature doxen named Jedi - but he has hair, not fur. So, I guess my answer would be hair. I used to have birds growing up but we could never touch them or put our fingers in the cage for risk of them drawing blood. So yeah, not feathers.

Any pet peeves? One thing that really burns your biscuits?
When people are particularly mean in reviews. It drives me crazy, even when it’s not my own books. Even when the book is bad. Come on people, you can find something nice to say, or if you can’t then don’t say anything at all. That’s someone’s baby. Do you really want to poo on it? Okay, I’m finished!

Tell us something about yourself that’s not in your bio.
I love desserts and hate running. It’s a bad combination. I’ll tell you that! My favorite dessert is chocolate cake. I also like Peppermint Patties, coffee ice cream, cheesecake, and frosting of any kind. Yum. 

Yum is right. :) What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I feel like I’m always writing! When I’m not sitting down and typing it, then it’s going on in my head. But, let’s see. I like to watch movies, go on walks with my dog, practice my flute, and visit my family. I really enjoy watching Star Trek and the Bachelor - a pretty strange mash-up don’t you think?

Might make a great story! lol If you had to choose another profession besides writer, what would it be and why?
I’m also a professional flutist, and I wouldn’t give that up for anything. I play in the NH Philharmonic and teach at a local community music school and university.

Very cool! Are you a night owl or early bird?
I like the evenings better, but I’m trying to get up earlier and….*gulp*….exercise. Yeah, it’s hard for me.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
The ability to stop time. If I had unlimited time I could get everything I needed to get done in a day!

I hear you! How would your muse describe you?
A determined workaholic! Maybe someone who doesn’t always like to take her muse’s advice!

If you could live out any fantasy, what would you do?
I’d visit Rivendell, the home of the elves in Lord of the Rings and have Legolas teach me how to wield a bow. Yeah, that would be great. Or, I’d serve on the starship Enterprise and explore the galaxy. Or, I’d star in the new Star Wars movie and become famous. Any of those.

I agree, any of those would be fantastic! ;)  If you could have dinner with anyone, past or present, fictional or real, who would it be and why?
J.J. Abrams, so I could pitch my book! Or maybe Mozart, but that would be difficult because he speaks German. James Galway, the famous flutist would also be nice to talk to.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
Hmmm…I’m not that crazy. Become an author? Publish my writing for the world to see.

Touche. So, music-wise, do you rock out to Beethoven, Beatles, Foo Fighters or Keith Urban?
I listen to classical and new age music. I know- I’m boring.

Hardly! Does music influence your writing? Do you have a music playlist for your book?
I listen to Soma FM Internet Radio while I write. It’s new age music mostly.

While creating your books, what was one of the most surprising things you learned?
That all of my characters have a bit of me in them whether I like it or not!

Where can readers find out more about you?
Twitter: @authoraubrie

Please tell us a bit about your latest book.
Minstrel’s Serenade is like a happier, more hopeful Game of Thrones. The world is prettier, there are less evil characters and more good guys, and less violence. But, it’s still epic fantasy with battles, swords, and sorcery. Perhaps the biggest distinction is that there is a “minstrel” class who can wield magic through their music.

Love that idea. What inspired you to write it?
I’ve always been a big fan of fantasy. I grew up watching The Last Unicorn, and that old movie Legend with Tom Cruise. I read a lot of fantasy books growing up as well and I’m a big LOTR fan.

Thanks for spilling the beans today, Aubrie!
Thanks for having me!

Minstrel's Serenade
He’s sworn to protect her, but can he save her from himself?
Danika Rubystone has hated the minstrels ever since her mother ran away with one. As Princess, she’s duty bound to marry Valorian, a minstrel from the House of Song. But problems in the kingdom are mounting. With her father dead she’s the sole heir to an imperiled throne, and wyverns attack Ebonvale’s southern shores. But after Danika finds a lone survivor of a wyvern’s attack who holds the key to protecting the kingdom and she finally meets the enchantingly sly Valorian, everything changes.
As Ebonvale’s Royal Guard sails with the minstrels to smite the uprising of wyverns, Danika dances a line between sticking by duty like her father, or following her wild heart like her mother.

Buy Links
Amazon:

Barnes and Noble:


Aubrie Dionne is an author and flutist in New England. Her books have received the highest ratings from Romance Times Magazine and BTS Magazine, as well as Night Owl Reviews and Two Lips Reviews. She has guest blogged on the USA Today Happy Ever After Blog and the Dear Teen Me blog and signed books at the Boston Book Festival, Barnes and Noble, and the Romance Writers of America conference. Her books are published by HarperImpulse, Entangled Publishing, Astraea Press, Spencer Hill Press, Inkspell Publishing, and Lyrical Press. When she's not writing, Aubrie teaches flute and plays in orchestras.


Author Links
Twitter: @authoraubrie